Although Bike to Work Day has passed, this season offers commuters an ideal opportunity to try biking. Here are seven simple ways to create a bike-friendly workplace and culture while keeping your employees healthy and engaged throughout the year:
1. Capital Bikeshare Corporate Membership
• When you offer Capital Bikeshare memberships to your employees, the annual fee is discounted to $50 (regularly $85), when your organization contributes to part or all of the fee. Capital Bikeshare is often found as a perfect option for the first or last mile of many commutes and convenient for workday travel and leisurely weekend rides.
2. The Bicycle Commuter Benefit
• As an employer, you can provide a direct Bicycle Commuter Benefit of up to $20 per month, tax-free, to offset the cost of maintenance and further support employees who regularly commute by bike.
3. Reward Bicycle Commuters
• Innovative incentives encourage employees to bike to work. Reward employees who bike to work with a pizza party, monthly breakfast, gift cards or product giveaways to keep employees excited about biking.
4. Provide Bicycle Parking
• Give bike commuters peace of mind by working with your building to install secure, convenient bicycle parking in your garage or office.
5. Showers/Changing Facilities
• Offer bicycle commuters a place where they can shower or change clothes, or partner with a local gym to offer employees a discounted rate to use their shower facilities.
6. Offer Bike Classes
• Bring in the Washington Area Bicyclist Association for an Every Biking Seminar (free for Capital Bikeshare corporate partners).
7. Participate in Local or National Events and Challenges
• Healthy competition is always a great way to get employees exciting about biking. Sign up for the National Bike Challenge as a company, or organize a group bicycle ride during lunch or as a regular Health & Wellness activity.
Is your office bike-friendly? Share ways your company is bicycle friendly with us at info@goDCgo.com or request a one-on-one consultation today.