Mark your calendars! Friday and Saturday, September 21 and 22 are Car Free Days. Celebrated around the world, this is a free event in which people are encouraged to get around town without driving alone in cars. The entire community is invited to take different modes of transportation such as train, metro, bus, carpool, or bike. Or, maybe cut the commute completely and telework. The goal is to reduce traffic congestion, create a greener environment, reduce the demand for gasoline, and help people save money and reduce stress! Over 1,500 cities in 40 countries will participate in Car Free Day 2018.
We know going car free for a day takes a bit of preparation, but it’s a lot easier than you may think. Here are some easy steps you can take to help leave the car keys at home:
- Go by bike. Riding your bike doesn’t have to be just a weekend activity. Consider biking to work and get your exercise in. Don’t have a bike? Purchase a pass and hop on a bike from Capital Bikeshare.
- Take the Metro. With the SafeTrack program complete, Metro is now safer, cleaner, and more reliable. Use the new and improved Trip Planner to map out your next trip.
- Organize a carpool for your kids. Talk with your neighbors and offer to alternate carpool drop off days to lessen the number of cars on the way to school.
- Many employers are making it easier than ever for employees to work from home. Ask your employer if you can telework on Car Free Day.
- See more ways you can be car free on September 21 and/or 22.
It’s easy to participate! All you have to do is fill out the pledge form and then go car free or car lite on September 22. That’s it! And, did we mention there will be prizes? Once you’ve pledged, you will be automatically entered for a chance to win awesome prizes like a Capital Bikeshare annual membership and a iPod. Already a car free pro? Don’t worry you can still take the pledge and enter for a chance to win a prize.For more information on Car Free Day, please visit www.carfreemetrodc.org.